Dane Reynolds: Thrills Spills and Whatnot

If you haven't heard,  one of my favorite surfers Dane Reynolds has released a new movie that strays away from the norm of the modern day surf film.  If you follow Dane or have seen First Chapter (or any video part he is in) you know that he is arguably the most progressive surfer today.  But more importantly he's a humble and irie kid from Ventura who doesn't follow the norm.....which is cool right? Who cares.  He only Pressed 5,000 copies and he's selling them for $8 a Piece.  Get them On his blog.  The links at the Bottom.  




"I have an idea for a film. I’m bored with surfing. Things are slow as hell. The film is going to be me venting all my frustrations for all the stuff that people make me do in films. I am fed up with how perfect surf films have become. How elitist they are and how only the best shit gets in there," he had said, his legs crossed as he sat in front of the TV.
With considerable prompting, Dane went on to outline his plans for what we now know to be Thrills, Spills and What Not.
"There is no direction. I don’t want it to be scripted or formulated. The only thing for sure is that I will use film as opposed to digital footage. I think film carries so much more feeling. There are 24 pictures a second flicking through the screen. I want to film everything and anything and put it together," he said.
It would offer a different ambience to the loud, brash and performance oriented direction of most modern surf films. But:
"I won’t say there won’t be an air in it. All the surf films lately have been based on the technical and competitive aspects of surfing and who surfs the best. Mine will follow the actual reasons you go surfing but hopefully not in some cliché way. I like things that are artistic to a certain extent but turn in on itself and make fun of itself. Sort of like what Ozzie does. Ozzie is so sick," he said.
As for his reluctance to open up about the project, he countered, "I don’t want it be promoted or anything. I’m not planning to make any money. I’m making it purely for myself and to show a certain side of surfing." -Dane with his interview in Stab Mag. 

Trailer


“It ain’t about being the raddest. It ain’t about nailing clips. It’s more about freedom, individuality and having shitloads of fun; challenging the criteria that’s assigned to you. I understand that it ain’t for everyone, and that’s fine. When I think of things that appeal to everyone I think of Disney, McDonald’s and sweatpants.” —Dane Reynolds on his movie Thrills, Spills and What Not

Also Check out Dane Reynolds Blog http://marinelayerproductions.com/ 
He throws edits up on there of his sessions at home and on the World Tour. It's definitely worth a look.  

Clip from Marine Layer of Danes trip to Puerto Rico during the Rip Curl Event(The Second song in the video is pretty good)

Total Pageviews